In our most recent trip road trip to Houston we were able to drive a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. Check out my post about the places we visited in Houston (http://22.214.171.124/~travelingdad/road-trip-austin-houston-new-2016-gmc-yukon-denali/). The Yukon we received was all decked out and it came with some awesome tech features that we loved! Having all these tech features in the truck got me really thinking that when I was a kid we didn’t have any tech in our vehicles. Oh how times have changed! I am starting to sound really old but I digress, lets check out the Top 5 Tech Features My Kids Have That I Never Had In a Vehicle.
Top 5 Tech Features My Kids Have That I Never Had In a Vehicle
- Wifi – The 2016 GMC Yukon Denali came equipped with 4G LTE WiFi and my boys absolutely loved it! There was enough WiFi to go around and both my boys were content watching YouTube on their mobile devices. WiFi wasn’t even a think when I was traveling as a kid. We had to look outside! Now you darn kids get off my lawn!
- BluRay/ DVD Player – The Yukon also came with a BluRay/DVD player with a pair of wireless headphones. When the boys got tired of watching YouTube which really didn’t happen but we had the BluRay player on anyway they put on their headphones and watched a movie. The entire ride over to Houston, we had Bubble Guppies playing every so often they would look up from their tablets and give the show a good few minutes of their time. I don’t think I ever watched any movies on a road trip when I was kid. The earliest tech I ever had a cassette player. I wonder what my boys would do if I showed them a cassette player or even a cassette.
- Multimedia Ports – The GMC Yukon had several multimedia ports in the back seat. It allows you to add a USB drive or a SD Card and play movies and music off of your jump drives. When I first saw that I was blown away. If I wanted to watch a show in the car when I was traveling I had to look outside and watch the sunset!
- iPad/tablet – Of course every parents knows that the best way to keep their children’s hands to themselves on a road trip is an iPad or Tablet. iPads and tablet work wonders to distract the children for some time while dad figures out where he is going. When I was kid, we didn’t have tablets, the only thing I ever had was a GameBoy and I thought that was revolutionary tech at the time!
- iPods – I am going to use old phones and iPods interchangeably because our sons along with their tablets have our old iPhones. They use them at home on the WiFi and since we were in the Yukon with 4G LTE WiFi they brought them along and used them to watch YouTube. Again, back in my day we didn’t have cell phones with internet access, at best I played snake on an old Nokia phone when I was in high school.
What tech do you love or use when you are on a road trip?