Being a father of three, some times when we travel one or more of the kids don’t get enough individualized attention. Every so often I like to make sure and spend some time one-on-one with each child. Me and my youngest boy Matteo spent some time at the Round Rock Express baseball game together, just me and him.
My youngest and I decided to play a little hooky and visit our local minor league baseball team The Round Rock Express. We said, who needs responsibilities and headed north of Austin to Round Rock, Texas.
The Round Rock Express are a Triple A affiliate to the Texas Rangers. Located in Round Rock, Texas a suburb north of Austin, Texas. A short drive north on IH-35 to Round Rock got us to the game in no time.
We attended an 11:30 am game and had a blast! For a few weeks my wife and I have been noticing that the middle child was acting out a bit and wanting a little extra attention, so I decided to spend some time with my boy.
The best part of attending a game? Cheap lawn seats, fun baseball, snacks, adult beverages, and quality time with the boy. He ran to mom after we got home and told her he had the best time ever.
Playing Hooky at the Round Rock Express
Tips for Attending a Round Rock Express Game
- Bring sunscreen – A few seats are shaded but if you have kids your best (cheapest) bet is to sit on the lawn. Lawn seats are $7-$8 and don’t have shade. After the sun sets it’s a perfect seat. So bring some just in case.
- Find a good seat – Like I mentioned earlier lawn seats are the cheapest but there are others of course. You can purchase tickets in advance or at the game but during some major games seats do sell out! For older kids or kiddos really into baseball get a seat along the first base line. Perfect views!
- Have a drink – Everything from craft beer (there’s a beer garden), to shaved ice, cokes, lemonade and pretty much anything you can think of they have it.
- Eat a hotdog – No baseball game is complete without eating a hotdog! If you want something else the ballpark offers tons of options from hamburgers, to tex-mex food! I mean we are in Texas right?
- Have Fun – And most importantly have some fun! Enjoy the game, introduce the great game of baseball to your young ones, and enjoy it. Eat some sunflower seeds, pick up a souvenir, and have a blast. The kids will love it.
How do you play hooky with your kids?