Cirque du Soleil Ovo Touring Circus Mystifies
I have fond memories of attending the circus as a kid with my parents. The elephants, lions and ring-masters with their hoops lit on fire entertained while I got cotton candy all over my face. Cirque du Soleil is the modern day circus and Cirque du Soleil Ovo is traveling throughout the nation. Now that I’m older, and no longer love the idea of animals in captivity, Cirque is the new way to feed the inner-child imagination.
Having attended many Cirque du Soleil shows over the years, mostly in Las Vegas, I wasn’t sure what to expect in a smaller venue such as Germain Arena, in Estero, Fla. The touring circus productions of Cirque are bring the show to your backyard so you don’t have to travel across the country to be dazzled.
The smaller arena just made for an more intimate acrobatic exhibition. Germain doesn’t have a bad seat in the house so every vantage point allows you to be up-close-and-personal. The show opens, as most Cirque’s do, with odd characters in over-the-top costumes walking around the audience as they fill in the seats with warm bodies eager to be entertained.
Cirque du Soleil Ovo – New Greatest Show on Earth?
Cirque du Soleil: Ovo does not disappoint. Ovo’s theme is one that won’t exactly get you running for the ticket sites: insects. It’s a disservice, though, to speak of the bug theme because it only inspired the costumes and stage props. The show isn’t about insects, or acts, or dancing for that matter. It’s about the movement.
Ovo is composed of 10 acrobatic acts, led by Master Flipo the MC and his sidekick Foreigner, a fly who carries the mysterious ovo (egg) in to scene. An army of ants appear juggling large kiwis with their feet. Next appear two large butterflies who perform an aerial ballet high above the audience, in perfect harmony.
One of my favorite acts was the many trapeze artists (Crickets) bouncing 30 feet in the air, on large trampolines, onto a rock-climbing wall climbing it like they were related to Spider-Man. I have no clue how they could fall, many stories onto the spring-board bottom, only to bounce up to the same exact height?! This one had my scratching my head and saying, “crazy.”
Another jaw-dropping performance was human tossing performers (Scarabs). Three acrobats were tossed back and forth from cradle to cradle at least 4 stories above the stage. As you can see below, they flew threw the air like footballs being passed between men warming up their arms.
Cirque du Soleil Ovo’s World Tour Dates
- Manchester, NH – From 25 Aug to 28 Aug 2016
- Hershey, PA – From 31 Aug to 4 Sep 2016
- Hampton, VA- From 7 Sep to 11 Sep 2016
- Roanoke, VA- From 14 Sep to 18 Sep 2016
- Orlando, FL- From 21 Sep to 25 Sep 2016
- Estero, FL-From 28 Sep to 2 Oct 2016
- Jacksonville, FL- From 5 Oct to 8 Oct 2016
- San Juan, PR – From 20 Oct to 23 Oct 2016
- Santo Domingo – From 27 Oct to 30 Oct 2016
- Erie, PA – From 17 Nov to 20 Nov 2016
- Quebec, QC – From 23 Nov to 27 Nov 2016
- Montreal, QC – From 29 Nov to 4 Dec 2016
- Kingston, ON – From 7 Dec to 11 Dec 2016
- Grand Rapids, MI – From 14 Dec to 18 Dec 2016
- Detroit, MI – From 22 Dec to 25 Dec 2016
- Kansas City, MO – From 28 Dec 2016 to 1 Jan 2017
- Sioux Falls, SD – From 4 Jan to 8 Jan 2017
- Loveland, CO – From 11 Jan to 15 Jan 2017
- Colorado Springs, CO – From 18 Jan to 22 Jan 2017
Looking for other things to do this Fall? How about a trip to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween at Walt Disney World? The park is not too crowded during the school season and the parade and light show will dazzle your entire family.